7 weeks with Jo Wilcox
Friday, 11am - 12pm, starts 28th April
Course Fee: $112
Booking essential as limited to 8 spaces.
Contact: breatheyogaNZ@gmail.com or 021 170 9495
At Riverside Centre
In Restorative Yoga, the aim is to support the body and get as comfortable as possible, being free from any tension or discomfort and allowing everything to be able to soften and release. A variety of different props are often used to facilitate this comfort. When we are comfortable, it allows everything to open, lengthen and relax, quieting and relaxing the nervous system as well as the physical body.
Restorative yoga allows us to bring stillness and calmness in our physical body, which can then transfer out to the emotional and mental body. Restorative postures can put you in the perfect position for comfort and ease, which in turn allows you space to observe the self and have the ability to begin to practice mindfulness and meditation.
Restorative yoga classes will leave you feeling peaceful and calm. It is the ultimate gift you can give yourself and there is absolutely no experience required. Anyone can do it!
These classes will be relaxing and slow paced, practicing about five or six postures, which are held for longer periods of time. Props are used in order to allow the body to be in the most comfortable, supported position possible. This may include bolsters, blankets, blocks and belts. Gentle music will be be played, and the practice is combined with guided relaxation and meditation.
The class will conclude with a guided deep relaxation - Yoga Nidra.
Benefits of Restorative Yoga:
- Stress Management - counteracts the negative effects of stress and elicits the " Relaxation Response" - slower heart rate, metabolism, rate of breathing, lower blood pressure. Can reduce/ prevent stress related diseases
- Helps in management of anxiety and over stimulation of nervous system - can help with insomnia
- Brings calm and equilibrium to body and mind - calms and deepens breathing which in turn relaxes nervous system and the mind.
- Energises and rejuvenates
- Moves spine in all directions - enhancing wellbeing
- Gently stretching, opening and releasing - relieves muscle tension and tightness
- Promotes better circulation of blood, lymph nodes - balancing hormonal system
- Promotes health of internal organs - stimulates and soothes
- Supports healthy immune function
- Supports weight loss
- Balances energy within the body
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post's content are those of the facilitator/event organiser and do not necessarily reflect Riverside Community Trust Board's official position and policy. Please contact the facilitator directly for all questions regarding this post's content.